Monday, March 5, 2012

Ceremonial Objects

With the run of ceremonies we have just had, I have been getting good use of my favourite ceremonial objects. Long-time readers will know how I feel about my bessu - and it was nice of Wendy a couple of weeks ago to use a photo I took of them on the Zen Center website. Today the tsui-ching had another outing, with Joan's departing ceremony.
This had a strong feeling to it, as I met Joan's focused and vibrant presence across from me as I made the announcement; there were lovely exchanges with Christina, Blanche and Paul, and then, after we left the zendo, seeing Joan walking tall through the open double doors up from the gaitan really encapsulated the moment.
Some time ago, writing about departing ceremonies, I noted that I came up empty-handed when I googled tsui-ching. Well, perhaps by posting this picture I can change this. Choro, my ino colleague in Chapel Hill, had asked for a picture of the one we have, which is built differently to the one at Tassajara, so here is one of the photos I took (don't worry Choro, I will send you the others too). It is not in its usual place; I wanted it closer to the window to make the most of the light.

Since we were doing the Suzuki Roshi Memorial yesterday morning, I was kicking my heels until eight o'clock - though when I did get out on my bike, it was already deliciously warm out there. I made the most of the opportunity to take some pictures of the White Tara in the Buddha Hall, who has, as we have noticed this past week, been getting bathed in sunshine just before seven, when we are usually wrapping up morning service.






7 comments:

Mike said...

Stunning photos. Lovely light.

Sandy's witterings said...

My! cracking pictures these.

Shundo said...

Thanks guys, I put it on one of the 'lush colour' settings, which may have helped.

Unknown said...

Beautiful light, well-noticed and -framed; I'd say that's more you than the settings!

Ernest Hemingway: "Good pictures, what camera do you use?"
Irving Penn: "What typewriter do you use?"

Myomon said...

Awwwww, Thanks Shundo! we share an appreciation for ceremonial objects. And beautiful photos. "What typewriter", indeed!

Shonen said...

anyone under age 20..."what's a typewriter?"

Shundo said...

I think the credit goes to the sunshine actually